With three questions, which officially make the shortest test of intelligence in the world, many people had a problem. Although at first it may seem that this is a simple calculation or logic, the truth is different.
Read the questions carefully, concentrate well and good luck!
1. The bat and the ball together cost 1.10 dollars. The bat is one dollar more expensive than the ball. How much is the ball?
2. If five machines make five widgets in five minutes, how long will it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?
3. Water lilies started to cover the lake. Every day, the area they occupy doubles. In order to cover the whole lake it will take 48 days. How much does it take for lilies to cover half the lake?
Of course we will give you the solutions, but first give yourself a chance and try to answer the above questions alone.
And solutions are:
1. If the ball is X, and the bat is a dollar more expensive, then the total price can be represented by the equation: X + 1$ = 1.10$. So: bat + ball = X + (X + 1) = 1.1, then... 2X + 1 = 1.1, and...2X = 0.1 X = 0.05
2. If five machines make pet widgets in five minutes, it means that in those five minutes each machine makes one. So if we have 100 machines, in five minutes each will make one – that’s total of 100.
3. If the surface of water lilies doubles every day, you get to correct answer by taking a step back. On the last day the lake is full, the day before that the half is covered, which means that the solution is 47.